Monday, March 1, 2010

Why is it so hard to keep on track with things?


I don't really know if I can say that I have a one track mind, per se, but it has to be pretty dang close. I guess it began a few years ago when politics caught my eye. Almost every day after school, I would come home, eat a snack, then watch the stock market close, begin my homework, and end the day with the O'Reilly Factor. Coinciding with this interest in politics was gardening. To this day, I have about a dozen pepper plants just sitting in my kitchen. They produce peppers, sure, but big ones? Not exactly. I even bought tons of gardening supplies: potting soil, shovels, and stakes for lining a small plot of land with plastic mesh. That must have been through 2008 and into 2009, those two interests. And then, I don't know, it kinda all just ended. I discovered something different that all began with one assignment in English class. Previously I had considered myself to be a good writer, but only good and for certain, any creative writing was out of the question. I was strictly good at essays and open-ended responses. That's how it had always been: there wasn't much fun in doing much writing unless I had to... but that isn't fun, either, is it? The thing that made writing not pleasant was that every single year, it was basically the same thing: the fall writing sample, a tacky Halloween story that probably did not differ much from the norm, and finally a spring writing sample to see how I've improved. Sixth grade English class was a joke (sorry) and the only writing we really did was in our journals at the beginning of the period. This was informal and I hardly tried my best. However, everything sort of turned when I hit seventh grade. Around March, we were studying stories which began as a seemingly positive situation that was later revealed to not be quite so positive. Among these stories was "The Lottery" by Shirley Jackson, "Monsters Are Due on Maple Street," (an episode of Twilight Zone) and a third one which I cannot recall at this time. This brings me back to the assignment that totally pǝddıןɟ my point of view on writing. The assignment was to write about a pleasurable experience that turns into a horrible, unrealistic one. Long story short, I got a 93 on it, because I accidentally deleted a very important detail (oops!). Something, something, about that assignment just... inspired me to write. A few weekends later, BAM!, my mind was whisked away from politics and gardening to writing. I wrote a short story titled "I-19" about... well, I'll just let you read it if you're interested (Link Here). A few weeks later, I began writing a still unfinished novel called "Perfectly Flawed." I have no clue where my mind was for the summer (probs in LaLa Land), but halfway through August, in was back in August. Through October, that's where it stayed, in the Land of Writing-is-the-best-thing-ever-and-it's-all-I-think-about. Of course, with November on the horizon, all I ever thought about was writing. For those of you who don't know, November is occupied by the greatest thing ever - NaNoWriMo (National Novel Writing Month, for which the goal is to write a 50,000 word novel in the thirty days of November. I did it, by the way.) Into December, I still had writing on my mind a ton. It was time for editing. It's March... and it's still, sadly, time for editing, because I have not even finished a re-read. Since, I've been preoccupied with school (still a straight A student and not going to give that up) and the Olympics, writing has faded into the background. Lately, my new favorite past time has been Rosetta Stone. If you haven't tried it, you're missing out. It's a great language learning program that teaches you a language the way you learned your first one, through immersion. I have always wanted to be multi-lingual and found it fascinating. Having the opportunity, my mind is sort of focused on it for now.

Okay, now for the cat. It's yawning, so I figured it would be perfect because it's showing boredom. I think you can connect the dots from there. Any ideas on how I could help my mind stay on track with one thing long enough to complete what I want to do with it?

Regards,
Ethyn

No comments:

Post a Comment